Turing Tumble Community

[Hard] "Exception Handler"

Here’s one for you that I couldn’t put in the puzzle book because the solution requires more than 6 crossovers (or at least I think it does, anyway).

(You can’t tell from the picture, but all four of those bits may start pointed left or right.)

Objective: If any of the bits start pointed right, intercept a blue ball. Otherwise, intercept a red ball.

You may use any parts you like.

Good luck!

Silly game designer, you only need two crossovers :slight_smile: .

tumble-exception-handling

(I notice that this solution is going right below the puzzle. If the etiquette is to put them somewhere else, so as to avoid spoilers, feel free to move my comment elsewhere and/or edit it.)

3 Likes

Look at you, Smarty McSmart Guy! I never thought to use multiple interceptors. Geez, you really pulled out all the tricks in this solution. Nice work!

1 Like

Smart McSmart Guy! I don’t feel like I deserve such an illustrious title. To earn a title like that, I feel like I’d have to… I don’t know, use no crossovers at all?

tumble-exception-handling-2

3 Likes

:smile: :smile: :astonished:

Wow, ninja skills

Ha ha! Wooooow! You most certainly do deserve the title. Impressive! Smarty McSmart Guy it is.

You don’t even NEED multiple interceptors OR gears.

https://www.lodev.org/jstumble/?board=1llrre1e1lerrrree0000eexxxrerxxllerxlreeileleeleree

2 Likes

Nifty! But you’re missing one ramp at the far left (to handle the case where the leftmost bit points right); here’s a slightly corrected version of yours:

https://www.lodev.org/jstumble/?board=1llrre1e1lerrrree0000erxxxrerxxllerxlreeileleeleree

@paul I know I’m little bit late, but as a software developer handling exceptions is one of my favorite hobbies and I had to try this nice one :wink:

I ended up with a solution that

• needs no crossovers, gears or gear bits
  • has only one interceptor

Well, this setup has four bits more than included in the standard box. Just substitute four of the six lowest bits with crossovers. The functionality remains the same.

See the setup below or use inspect it in the simulator.

1 Like