Turing Tumble Community

Solution to puzzle 46 with interceptor at the bottom

This solution does not use few parts (I didn’t try to optimise it at all) but it has the interceptor at the bottom, and it uses only 5 balls : each ball reverses a bit, the last ball reverses the middle bit and then is intercepted. Hope you like it !

IMG_1832

I love it! :heart_eyes:

It’s good to see a solution that prioritizes minimizing the number of balls used, because that’s basically the same as minimizing computation time. Also, I spent a lot of time tinkering with gear bits on the bottom row, but I feel that you have unlocked the true potential of this technique. This was such eureka moment for me that I was inspired to make my own version:

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 3.14.21 PM
jstumble
Tumble Together

I basically replaced the top logic with something similar to the book solution. This reduces the part count to 32, which is 18 fewer than the original, 3 fewer than the book solution, and only 4 more than @menderbug’s solution. It also allows either the blue or red lever to be used to start, whereas red is required for the original. There is one drawback, though: there are three parts that need to be reset between each run; in the original there were only two (there are also two in the book solution and in Menderbug and @Samuel’s solutions).

Awesome !! This is indeed a huge improvement on my original version. Now it minimizes both computation time and chip size. This is efficient computing !

1 Like