Turing Tumble Community

You have a problem

That’s probably because you have used one. I haven’t. You are a very rude, disrespectful and naive young man. When you get older you will learn to recognise constructive criticism when you see it.

The manual does exactly what you are requesting. It explains each part before requiring its use in a puzzle and only adds new parts after several puzzles with the current part.

The example problem you propose is beyond the capabilities of the board as it stands - you can’t represent numbers bigger than 31 (well, you can cheat a bit).

The idea is not to build a useful calculator or computer (at least not without a much, much, much bigger board and a lot of additional components) - the idea is to build something simple, that you can see and understand how it works, and which is capable of doing basic arithmetic - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, provided all the numbers involved are fairly small (probably limited to 0-15). It can also be set up to play Nim.

Like the allegorical dancing bear, the impressive thing is not how gracefully it “dances”, but that it dances at all.

1 Like

I’m sure it does. But you don’t get the manual until you buy the device. And you don’t buy the device until you first know what it does.
In other words, you had to tell me what’s in the manual because I don’t have one. The reason I don’t have one is that I haven’t bought one. The reason I haven’t bought one is that up until this evening no one (thanks msgrey) had told me what it actually does.

I understand it because of all the marketing that led up to it.

“you can’t represent numbers bigger than 31 (well, you can cheat a bit).”

If you arrange your bits on a slant instead of stacked vertically, you should be able to represent numbers up to 127 without doing anything I would imagine you are describing as ‘cheating’ (ex. chaining using both red & blue balls, using the gearbit, etc.)
tt

By the way, if you do not consider chaining red-to-blue balls a ‘cheat’, then you can add up to 2,047. Here is an example of this if you start with the red trigger
tt3

Well I didn’t. As I’ve said several times now, if a person as educated as me, and with an IQ as high as mine doesn’t understand it, simply because I do not have a mathematical background (which you clearly do) then it’s being poorly marketed. I’m trying to help. Not sure why you can’t understand that simple point. It’s not rocket surgery

Geez, the book explains, so READ THE BOOK!

Or read the educator’s manual I sent you.

I really hope my chemistry professor isn’t you.

Yes fair enough, but once again, if it cannot do this kind of problem, then exactly what can it do? In other words, what is a real world application of this device? I’d just like to see an example of the kind of things it can do, and there doesn’t necessarily need to be an explanation of how.
If it comes with a puzzle book, then include one of these puzzles in the marketing and advertising. So rather than say “this device generates patterns of coloured balls” you say "here is a logic puzzle it can solve. It solves it by generating patterns of coloured balls."
This is the point I’ve tried again and again and again to make the people at Turing Tumble see. To the nonmathematical person (me) it’s not obvious that its ability to generate patterns of balls assists with logic puzzles.
Just include a couple of examples of puzzles it can do with the implication that you need to buy the device to find out exactly how. That’s how marketing for anything works - diet products, for example, tell you the outcome of using their products (losing weight) but they don’t give you details. You have to buy the product for that. This is what TT need to do - give some outcomes with specific examples of puzzles it can solve, with the implication that you have to buy the thing to understand how it works

Well, READ THE MANUAL!

Yes this manual is useful. But is it available without buying it? If it isn’t, then the information in it is pointless

The link is a few messages up.

And I hope you never teach me maths. Your attitude stinks. You haven’t got a clue how education works. If I was teaching you chemistry I would work with you at your current level, to find out what you understood or knew. I would understand the problems through your eyes, and then gradually introduce the concepts required to advance your knowledge. You apparently don’t understrand this concept. You remind me of a physics tutor I had - his standard response was “if you don’t understand that then you must be quite stupid.” Totally lost on him was the fact that he had a PhD in physics and I was a first year student.
Every comment I’ve made on this device is to place the creators of this device in a position to see it through the eyes of a nonmathematical person, to assist them to market it better. And the reason is both simple and obvious - the world is full of clever ideas that were a commercial failure because they were marketed poorly

1 Like

Let me ask again. Is this manual available from the TT website without having to create an account an ask questions on a discussion forum? If it is, then that’s fine, and potentail customers should be pointed to it with big arrows in the advertising material. If it isn’t, then they have a problem, which is exactly why I started this discussion

Just CLICK THE LINK!

You can search it up on the internet.

The specific purpose of Turing Tumble is to provide a hands-on way of learning how computers work and the fundamentals of programming by showing that switches connected together in clever ways can do smart things when falling marbles are used to trigger them. The falling marbles represent the flow of electricity and the various components represent different ways to control that flow of electricity and ultimately store information, which is how a computer works. This simple concept teaches coding strategy as well as abstract concepts like binary, binary operations, and logic gates in a fun, tangible way.

I do not have a teaching or mathematical background nor an IQ as impressive as you claim yours to be, but I found that information on their website and videos. I don’t know what to tell you, but their marketing seemed to work just fine for me.