Turing Tumble Community

Puzzle 3 Blues and 3 Reds

Has anyone solved 3 blues and 3 reds sequence? I have been trying but it’s becoming challenging. Any clue would be very helpful.

1 Like

Welcome!

If you mean 3 blue, 3 red repeated until you run out of balls, I think the only way would be to use gear bits, in which case this would be similar to the solution for Puzzle 39 in the workbook.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was able to solve it after I posted it based on puzzle 32.

2 Likes

@TuringMe Way to go! That is a tricky one but useful for solving other puzzles.

1 Like

Very nice! Is there perhaps a way to generate this pattern with less precies?

Since you asked :wink:
(This is based on a design I posted on 2 Blue 4 Red possible)

TT_3_3

jstumble

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s so nice to challenge ourselves with all kinds of puzzles here. It is fun to do and most of the time completely analogue too :grinning:

1 Like

Here is another solution with 22 pieces. This design uses a 3-counter and a 4-counter. The trick is the last blue ball from the 3-counter is also counted by the 4-counter, so the 4-counter ends up only counting 3 red balls. Also I used crossovers to reduce the part count from 24 to 22.

TT_3_3b
jstumble

My previous design used a 6-counter which also required 22 pieces. Since these solutions work very differently but require the same number of pieces, it seems like 22 pieces may be the limit for the 3 blue, 3 red, repeating pattern.

1 Like

Hi @RingTheBell, that is so very clever, love this solution. I will build it tonight, thanks again for the good job!

1 Like

Hi @RingTheBell , in the simulator it works flawless. However in real life, balls got stuck, the gears seem to “jump” so I don’t get the desired outcome, don’t know what’s the matter tonight. Maybe I should add some friction parts?

Yes, be sure to use the friction washers on the purple gear bits. Also, when I play Turing Tumble IRL, I tilt the board backward slightly to slow the balls down.

1 Like